Thursday, October 18, 2007

How well do you know me?

Have you ever felt like you have known someone when in fact you really haven't known "THEM"?

I am the oldest of 3 children. Myself, my sister (4 yrs. younger), then my brother at (6 yrs younger). My sister and I have had a pretty close relationship growing up. You know there was your typical sibling rivalry, but for the most part we have been best friends. After our parents separated we became very close and more so after our mom was killed in a car accident 7 years ago. There is a family history of addiction in our family. Drugs and Alcohol have been a way of life for my dad and my brother. So much that I don't really expect anything different from either of them. But when I found out that my sister was addicted and abusing Prescription Drugs, it really did a number on me. I just couldn't understand it.
She had a back/hip injury when she was a teen and it has just progressed over the years.
Now after drugs have just tore up her family and she is facing possible jail time she is finally coming clean with things. I learned last month that she has actually been addicted for about 8 years. Come on, I only knew about the last 2 years or so. That really surprised me.

Today she has been clean for a few months and she is in surgery right now to correct her back problem. I am glad that she is having it done, I just pray that it is successful and she can live pain free. She was in high spirits about having it done. She is just looking forward to that day that she can be free of daily pain. Will she even know how to live her daily life as she knows it. She has been in pain for so long that ever thing she is use too will be different.

Our relationship has really been effected by this and needs alot of mending. I pray that now we can work on our friendship. I am ready to start our new life together too.

No comments: