Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In Loving Memory 9-30-00

On Saturday, September 30, 2000, Mom called. She was coming to Kirbyville for her eldest grandson’s, Dustin, Pee-Wee football game. Mom had just had a colon resection done nine weeks prior. Her youngest grandson, at the time, had been sick. Mom was calling to see if Wes was well. When she called me, I told her that Wes was fine and that she would need to be here around noon. She told me she was leaving, had to stop to get cash and gas and then she would be on her way. My house is about 50 miles away from hers, so I figured she would be here with in an hour or so. As that time neared, I was beginning to wonder if she stopped to pick up lunch for us. As it got closer to noon, I decided that my husband, Chris, and Dustin should go to town and get hamburgers.
Chris called me on his cell phone and said there had been a wreck at the end of our road. The emergency crews called for Life Flight and were waiting for it to land on the highway. While Chris was on the phone with me, he asked what kind of cars were involved. The volunteer told him a small gold car and a small white truck. At that moment I knew in my heart who it was. Chris said let me check it out and I’ll call you right back. I started praying the second we hung up. I couldn’t wait a minute longer, so I called Chris. All he said when he answered was it’s your mom. I hung up the phone, jumped up screaming at Lauren, who was a sleep in the chair, and ran to the car. As I was flying down our dirt road Chris was coming back to stop me. I demanded to go down there to at least tell the crews about her surgery. The officer that I got to talk with told me that she was really bad and in Cardiac Arrest. They told us to get to the hospital and not to try to beat the helicopter.
We went back to the house. I put on my shoes and grabbed my address book. After we dropped the kids at a relatives house, we headed for the hospital. Besides trying to reach family, friends, and my pastor, all I can recall saying was “Please don’t let her die”. When we got to the hospital, Chris’s mom was there waiting and life flight had already arrived. After answering as many questions that I could, the hospital personnel put us into a family room. We made some more phone calls and then the doctor came in. He sat down with us and asked me if mom had any health problems. I told him what I knew and then with four simple words, my world fell apart. He told us “She didn’t make it.” He told us that he would come back after the other family arrived. One by one, my brother, my Father-in-law, 3 of mom’s closest friends, my sister and my pastor arrived. After we stood around in shock and cried with one another they told us we were able to go back to see her. That was really hard to do. When we went in there she was lying there so peacefully. She had some bruising to her face, and a laceration on her forehead. Other than that, there were no apparent injuries.
We later found out that, from the force of the impact, her Aorta was ruptured. She was stopped to turn on my road when she was hit from the rear at about 70 MPH. Thankfully she never knew what hit her. To this day we still do not know why this young man wasn’t paying attention to the road. Unfortunately his negligence killed someone. We all have a responsibility when we get in our car. Watch the road and the People around you.

That almost seems like a lifetime ago. God has done a mighty work in my mind and my heart since that day. He has giving me peace about the guy that hit her, being I live in the same town as him. He has delivered me from deep depression and has taken away that deep pain of grief. I miss her more than ever but it is different now then it was. Several years ago the hurt and grief was still so achingly strong but lately it has been more of a peaceful feeling and a flood of memories.
I love you mom and miss you dearly.......


post signature

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry you lost your mom in such a horrible and senseless way. This is a beautiful and loving tribute to your mom. She was obviously very dear to you. Thank you for sharing and God bless you!

Unknown said...

Amy,

Thank you for sharing this touching tribute with us. Praising God for the peace He has given you and the power of forgiveness that heals wounds that are hard to let go of!

Her picture is beautiful and gave me hope of where we are going. That she is made whole and perfect withoug pain or suffering!

May the memories bring smiles to your heart and fill you with joy unspeakable!

Love,
Jill

Sheryl said...

Amy-what a nice tribute to your mom. I cannot imagine the hole that losing your mom must have left. She was a beautiful woman!

She would be very proud of you,
Sheryl

Addicted to Beadz said...

Amy,

That is such a great tribute to your Mom. I'm so sorry you had to lose your Mom, and especially like this.

So very thankful, you have peace and great memories.

My Dad passed on 09/16/2000 just about 2 weeks before of esophageal cancer. We had time to prepare, but watch him suffer.

Heaven will be grand, Amy! No more suffering and we get to see the ones we love!

{{{Hugs!}}}
Cheryl

Melanie said...

Amy, what a beautiful tribute to your mother. I'm so sorry for her loss, but so happy that God has brought healing to you!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. But, I am glad you now have peace about it. Thanks for sharing how the Lord has worked in your heart!

Thanks for visiting me! I saw your blog earlier, but did not have time to read. I tagged it to follow so I would not forget to come back. I will be back!

Alicia

Paula V said...

Amy.
I came over here because I notice you were added as a "follower of mine". I read your WFW and then noticed the title of this blog and was intrigued to read. I was clinging to your every word. Of course with the title, early on, I knew the probable end.

What a terrible tragedy and to it happen so close to home, your home. They say most accidents happen within 5 minutes of our homes.

Praise the Lord for the peace you have regarding missing her. I can understand that longing and missing of a person and how in ways it changes. I understand the depression that comes with missing someone so bad and being hit with a shock. My missings and shocks are a little different than yours, but I understand all the same.

Blessings,
Paula

Holton Clan said...

Amy,

Wow.. it's hard to believe it's been 8 years. Your Mom was so much like my 2nd Mom growing up. She was a wonderful person and I miss her alot. She treated me like one of her own children and always made me smile. I know she is with God watching over you and is very proud of how you have worked through your grief and raised your family. I only hope that my grief from my fathers death will be this way. You are your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you!

Allison

Mokihana said...

What a tragic way to lose your mom, especially since she was so close to being to your house. Close to your home, close to His home.

I didn't lose my mom like this, but I understand the sadness of not being able to say goodbye; I was trying to drive to CA to make it in time, but got the same message that you did... "She's gone".

I wish you had been able to have more time with your mom....

Alexis said...

Goodness, I've gotta get a kleenex! Thank you for sharing this story, and for your openness... Love the picture too.