Friday, January 4, 2008

Real Bad Meltdown

Last night was a rough one. For 3 nights in a row Lane didn't have his medication. I know it was my fault but New Years Eve we spent the night at SIL's house unexpected and then the next day we stayed there all day until evening and he was asleep when we got home. Wed. night he was already asleep when I got back from Austin. But it is a definite that his medicine has been working. I just didn't realize how well until his over an hour long melt down last night. I did notice that he was a bit more moodier that morning but I just figured he was tired and he has a little cough too. Yesterday evening he was in a bad mood when we got home and went into a complete meltdown when it was time for a bath. Chris figured since he needed a bath that he would do it then beings he was already in a bad mood. I ran to town to get a few things from the store and when I got back 20 mins later it was horrible. Screaming, crying, throwing things, knocking things down, hitting, kicking, name calling, etc. It is one of the worst rages he has been in, in a long time. It really tested Chris. I was pretty proud of him and how well he handled it. It is hard for him to keep his cool through all of that and he did good. But now he knows where I keep the medicine and he knows to give it to him every night even when I am not there to see that he gets it.
We still don't have a diagnosis and won't for a long time, but we (the doctor and us) are leaning towards Bipolar. It is so clear with him having so many of the symptoms. We have a long road ahead and I keep praying for the strength to deal with this. It is all new to me. None of my other kids have gone through something like this and it is very difficult to adapt too. But there is a plenty of resources and information for me to read up on. And that is just what I have been doing. But Prayer is my main source.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaww poor Lane--i'm sure it was just as difficult on him. I'm glad that the meds are working.
LOv eya!

Brian said...

My wife was diagnosed bipolar several years ago. She has her good days and bad days. There are days she has no energy and wants to sleep all day. Thanks goodness we live in the same town as her parents, so she has them to lean on. She has had several different meds some which have been absolutely terrible for her. We've made many trips to Drs., she's been hospitalized a couple times, but with prayer, faith, a supportive family on both sides of the family, we've got it as under control as we ever will. I know this isn't encouraging, but it is the truth. It is a hard truth to "swallow", but it's what I've been delt. I support her in any why that I can or that she needs.